Contributors

October 30, 2010

It's Bloody Cool




  When I first walked into the hall on 4th August, it was bustling with activity. I was very intimidated by the sight of students donating blood and the needles embedded in throbbing veins scared me beyond words. I realised I was 18 and that I haven’t ever done anything that I could retrospect and feel proud about. I was talking to donors about how it feels to save a life and the joy on their faces said it all. That is where I made my decision. I wanted to donate, irrespective of how petrifying the sight of blood and needles may be.
I decided to talk to everyone around, finding out how painful the whole process was. I was astonished, not a single person advised me against it. A few minutes later, I was lying down on the bed with my eyes closed and waiting for the whole thing to get over. 5 minutes later, after I was allowed to get up I felt inexpressibly elated and happy. It struck me that my bottle of blood that was being labeled and carted away would save someone’s life. Not scared of needles and the sight of blood anymore. I felt bloody cool!


   After walking around the college with an expression of superiority I decided I should get more people to do this. Not because I wanted to show off (well not only that), but because there is nothing that can be more gratifying than knowing that a small act of giving can make the difference between life and death. Being a volunteer at the Blood Drive not only inflated my ego (and my tummy too with all the free food) but it’s an experience that will last a lifetime. That evening and the next day that followed had more and more people coming in to donate blood. The numbers on the chart kept increasing and it triggered off a wave of thrill for everyone around. Everyone in the room was pumped and charged to make this a great success which it eventually was. I still can’t forget the smile that Reina and Herold had; their vibrancy was contagious. Not only did it make me feel strong and brave but also helped me let my guard down and shed all inhibitions to do something that I hadn’t thought I’d do ever! The SSL-Malhar Blood Drive is more than just an event. It’s a feeling that will always be with me making me do it over and over again. And for all those who missed it this year, I strongly recommend it for  next year!

                                                                                    - Akriti Rai (SYBA).


No comments:

Post a Comment